Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Kentucky Derby Death

I am a casual horse racing fan: I watch the Triple Crown (I was born the year Secretariat won all three races, the Belmont by 31 lengths, and my parents tell me I watched him do it); I like the films Seabiscuit and The Black Stallion; and I will always remember the scene in Frank Deford's book (and film), Alex: The Life of a Child, that documents the match race between Foolish Pleasure and Ruffian--during which Ruffian (a filly) broke her leg, and after which she was euthanized. So I watched the 2008 Kentucky Derby--impressed by Big Brown's victory and deeply saddened by Eight Belles's death. The response to the tragedy has been widespread and passionate, some calling for an end to the sport. Though I know far too little to support firmly a ban of horse racing, I believe, regardless of the care provided for the top thoroughbreds, many horses are treated poorly. With the injury and subsequent death of Barbaro in 2007, a lesson needs to be learned--which is why I consider Tim Layden's recent Sports Illustrated article, Big is Better, so disturbing. I find two passages beyond ignorant and insensitive. The first: "That much of the postrace attention focused on the tragedy is unfair to Big Brown, whose victory was historic -- it had been 93 years since a horse with so little experience (three races) had won the Derby -- and seductive." Who thinks Big Brown gives a shit how much media attention his victory receives? Okay, maybe the glory of the owner and trainer and jockey has been overshadowed somewhat. But suck it up. A horse died. On the racetrack. After finishing second. And here's the second passage: "with the fresh memory of a dominant win on hallowed ground, a familiar chase begins. Racing is endlessly in search of transcendent greatness, for the next Citation, the next Secretariat, the next Affirmed. The chase routinely ends in disappointment. Now it is Big Brown's turn to try to make history. To erase the memory of a fallen filly. To elevate the sport." To "erase the memory"? Why? So we can all watch the last two legs of the Triple Crown--remorselessly, guiltlessly? It will be entirely irresponsible and disrespectful for anyone--fan or participant--to attempt to erase the death of Eight Belles. Tim Layden's statements are shameful, and it is shameful for Sports Illustrated to have printed them.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This caught my attention. I was just discussing this (or something of a similar nature) with my boyfriend earlier today. I grew up around horses. There was a stable about a mile from where I grew up that I would walk to nearly every day where I would muck stalls and perform manual labor around the farm in exchange for horseback riding lessons. One of the deepest instinctual connections I've ever felt is the one I share with horses. My boyfriend was telling me a story about how one of his favorite memories from his 5-month trip to Ecuador and the Galapagos comes from the time when he went horseback riding on Isabella Island. He had never been before, but immensely enjoyed the experience, and was surprised by how quickly he picked it up. He's seen me ride a couple of times, and expressed the wish to one day become as comfortable riding a horse as I am. I told him that, while it is certainly a factor, technical skill is one of the least important aspects to becoming a good horseback rider. I am certainly no expert, and I'm incredibly (and painfully) rusty, but I've always strongly believed this to be true about horses: they are not obligated to carry us around. It is not their purpose in life, they don't get paid for it, and they are not motor vehicles. It is our privilege, not our right, to enjoy riding atop these magnificent creatures. I feel that the best horseback riders in the world are not necessarily the jockeys with the most first place ribbons, or the competitors with the most accolades in the dressage department, but the ones who love and respect their horses. It is a partnership, not a question of master and commander. That being said, the deaths of these incredibly beautiful, intensely noble animals leaves a hollow pit in my stomach and a weight in my chest that cannot be easily removed. The idea that these animals are being worked to (literally) death for something that benefits them in no way...I just can't comprehend it. Why are people okay with this? Why is it the view of so many that horses are simply supposed to let us ride them? The majority of us seem to have forgotten that horses would be just fine without us. The don't need us to survive, and are therefore in no way indebted to us. This is something that I've always felt passionately about, and I could probably go on for hours...but I'm going to cut myself off because I'm tired, the wine from dinner is still lingering in my system, and I might be rambling a little bit (and I won't proofread this, I never do, so I should probably quit while I'm ahead). I will say this before I go: Horses are smart. They're insanely intelligent. They're smarter than a lot of people I know. They're fiercely loyal. They're soulful, spiritual, intuitive. They're too good for us. Never, in the history of mankind, have horses ever done anything to deserve the treatment they sometimes (oftentimes) receive. They don't deserve the disrespect they're shown. And people like this Tim Layden character don't deserve to be in their presence, much less write about them in such a dismissive, indifferent manner. Sorry, Tim, but I honestly don't think that Big Brown gives a flying fuck about "elevating the sport." Big Brown is longing for warm oats and a big, green pasture where he runs only when he chooses to. Big Brown is hoping that his jockey has a sugar cube in his pocket. Big Brown misses Eight Belle, his next-door neighbor in the stable.