Saturday, October 4, 2008

Fresh Baby

These days I am listening to three albums almost exclusively. These days...nothing else compares. I slide into these listening routines--abandoning variety (and a too-large catalogue) and embracing the recent and fresh. Sometimes, though, I retreat to the past and enjoy exclusivity there. It happens most often with Dylan...I can spend weeks listening to only Dylan. Because, really, nothing else compares...why waste time with something lesser? But then the variety and the fresh beckon. New is good.

I detest fans who repeatedly rip new releases. It's like going to a concert and listening to all the douche bags barking out requests (like they've never heard of a fucking set list). When a band tours with a new release I'm pretty sure they're looking to play the fresh. I saw Elliott Smith downstairs at the Middle East--he was playing all his new stuff, but the crowd wouldn't shut up with the requests...it got to the point where he asked the crowd what they'd rather hear, the old or the new. I yelled as loud as could, but was drowned out by those bastards living in the past. I'm not saying he killed himself over it, but it still sucked. Anyhow, this is what I'm listening to:

Noteworthy Track: Carpetbaggers

NT: Souled Out!!!

NT: The Sun Also Sets

No comments: