Friday, August 29, 2008

Instant Karma's Gonna Get You (Final Olympics Post?)

I have been meaning to post this for some days now, but time keeps slip sliding away. For these most recent Olympic Games, NBC decided to turn away from the overwhelming number of puff piece stories (which dominated the coverage of the Athens games) on the competing athletes and just show more events. Good decision. However, the behind the scenes stories were not valueless for me--I love to watch sports, and sometimes those stories influence who I root for. But it's not as though my life is less fulfilling without that background info.

Along with watching a lot of the coverage this year, I also read several articles about the games (especially considering the unique circumstances of the location).



The U.S. Men's Basketball (Redeem) Team played (and behaved) with class...such a difference from their past bravado. And they were rewarded with gold medals.

Similarly, karma worked for Hope Solo (U.S. Women's Soccer goalie) and Shawn Johnson (U.S. Women's Gymnastics). Solo, after being unexpectedly benched for the U.S. team's semifinal match in the 2007 World Cup (and after the team lost), spoke up and said she would have made the saves. And then the entire team unjustly ostracized her...kicked her to the curb. I enjoyed seeing her smile when the team won Olympic gold with her in net.



Shawn Johnson, while winning silver after silver (a dream for many), remained proud and gracious. And then she too won a gold medal. I also enjoyed reading about Johnson's friendship with her teammate (and competition), Nastia Liukin. Athletic competition offers a great possibility for connection, which is why I am often so frustrated by fans of American sports (and I suppose by hooligans worldwide)--as their fanaticism leads to hatred and division.

No comments: