Saturday, August 9, 2008

Olympic Fever


Yesterday I dropped HBO and Showtime from my cable package (what a waste o' money) and a second cable box--dropping my monthly bill about 40 bucks...I feel like a dipshit for not doing it sooner. I kept the DVR (how could I live without now?) and the hi-def.

I really do try to limit my TV consumption, but, like a jet flight blowing up a carbon footprint, sports (any sport) in hi-definition suck me in every time...so I was psyched this afternoon when I discovered six (6!) hi-def channels devoted to the olympics, each carrying a different event (at the time): men's beach volleyball, women's indoor volleyball, women's soccer, equestrian, swimming, and...something else.

Four years ago my wife was eight months pregnant with our first son, and we sat (lay) on the couch for two weeks watching just about everything the olympics had to offer. And I imagine I'll watch a lot in the next 16 days. We're now wishfully planning a trip to the summer games with our two boys: in 2016 (maybe ideal if Chicago wins the bid) they'll be 11 and 9; in 2020 15 and 13, of course.

The opening ceremonies were stunning...almost made me stop wondering what the fuck the olympics are doing in China.

No comments: